Saturday, February 26, 2011

What are you eating?

I like to go to restaurants.  I don't go often and I stay away from fast food restaurants for the most part.  I've been learning a lot about restaurant foods and the more I learn the more shocked I am about what I'm really putting into my mouth when I go.  I'm especially shocked by the fact that what I think is healthy is really just not!

For example an Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad with the dressing will pack on 1240 calories and a whopping 87 gms of carbs!   Don't be surprised if your blood sugar spirals out of control after that meal.  If you take away the dressing you have a more reasonable calorie count of 570 but the carbs are still too high for a diabetic at 53 gms.

The better choice at Applebees is the Grilled Chicken Salad at 820 calories with the dressing or 370 calories without the dressing and 21 gms of carbs.   The point to be made is that what looks healthy is not necessarily so.  

David Zinczenko has written a whole line of books such as Eat This, Not That or Cook This, Not that.  Womens Health also has a website where you can look up foods before you go out to eat or before you buy them at the grocery store.  You can also sign up for the email newsletter there.   I just happened upon the website and have been searching it.   As I said I have learned a lot!   Many of the books are available at your local library if you don't want to buy them.   If you like what you read you can always buy it later.  

Here is a link to the Womens Health "eat this not that" web site to get started searching and find out what you're really eating!    Just click on "restaurants" to check out your favorite restaurant meals.
http://eatthis.womenshealthmag.com/home

No comments:

Post a Comment