Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Settling In

Just like moving into a new home where it takes time to get used to all the new surroundings, getting used to the "newness" of diabetes takes some time.   It's been a year and a half since my diabetes diagnosis and I have to say that I am finally settling in and starting to feel like my new life is normal.   I wasn't sure that I was ever going to be able to say that but the day has come.

Does that mean that I have it totally figured out?  No, not exactly.   What I have learned is more about me.  How my body responds to foods, stress, exercise and non-exercise.  I've learned what foods to avoid and what foods to eat to keep my blood sugar as close to normal as possible.  I know what will happen if I decide to eat the bag of chips.  That doesn't mean I won't eat them necessarily but I know what will happen if I do!

I've learned to take my favorite recipes and adapt them to limit carbs and blood sugar spikes.   I've learned some new recipes, made up some new recipes and I've found the right mix of supplements that work for me.

My blood sugar numbers have stabilized for the most part although there is the occasional bad day.   I'm to the point where I probably could stop pricking my finger several times a day but I seem to be addicted to wanting to know my "number" all the time.  Funny, isn't it?  I mean why do I want to keep pricking myself several times a day?

I know that many who read this are not "settled in" yet.  But hopefully you will be soon.  Find the right articles to help you, read the right books, listen to the people who have been successful and find out how they did it.   You will get there.

Here is a very helpful article by Dr. Mercola.    He says everything that I would say but of course just linking to him is a lot easier.  Just click on the following link.    Reversing Diabetes Is Possible!




No comments:

Post a Comment