Sunday, May 9, 2010

Dazed and Confused In the grocery store




I remember the first month or two after being diagnosed with the big D going to the grocery store looking for what to eat that I could eat.... that I was supposed to eat. I just kind of ended up standing there like I was in a maze not knowing what to do. I went down the aisles reading the carbohydrate and sugar info on the packages. I had just had my first diabetes education class so I was armed with the info on how many carbs, fat etc. I could eat. I was also concerned about salt because they said my blood pressure was borderline.

 It didn't take long for me to figure out that there wasn't much that I could eat there other than fresh meat and fresh vegetables.  I am a working girl!    I don't have a lot of time to cook. I need to make quick meals. How is this going to work? Bread? Spaghetti? Macaroni and cheese? Pizza? Potatoes..... french fried, mashed, baked or boiled? No, no, no! What could I eat! I had absolutely no idea! I am not a fast food junkie by any means. I try to make healthy meals but I felt like I was never going to figure it out.  I was paralyzed by the choices that I couldn't seem to make.

I thought about just calling my doctor and asking for medication. Then maybe I could just eat what I wanted to like so many others I knew who ate what they wanted and took medication or insulin. The problem is that all of these people just had to keep taking more and more medication. I didn't want that to be my life. So, I have to figure this out. I am figuring it out and it gets easier and easier as time goes by. I hope that I can pass on some tips in the future as my life changes continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment